The pulp has a sweet, almond-like, unique flavor.
Different cultivars produce at different times of the year and planting of 3-4 cultivars may suffice to have mature fruit year-round (e.g., 'Tazumal', 'Pace', 'Magana', and 'Pantin'):
- 'Tazumal', season Jan.-Feb., Good flavor, Medium tree, High yield
- Pace', season Mar.-Apr., Excellent flavor, Tall tree, High yield, Precocious!
- 'Magana' - season April-May, Good flavor, Small/slow growing tree, High yield. Precocious!
- 'Pantin' (Key West), season July-Aug, Excellent flavor, Tall tree, Medium yield
- 'Abuelo', season Oct.-Nov., Excellent flavor, Spreading tree, Medium flavor
- Florida', season Mar.-Apr., Good flavor, Tall tree, High yield
Mamey Sapote with The Tropical Fruit Growers of South Florida (video):
FC30/MG331: Mamey Sapote Growing in the Florida Home Landscape http://buff.ly/2ncz1RF
'Pace' Mamey Sapote http://buff.ly/2mk8XH2
The Mamey Sapote in South Florida http://buff.ly/2mkdOru
Pouteria sapota, Mamey, Mamey Sapote - http://buff.ly/2mjYEmi
Mamey Sapote http://buff.ly/2mki8Hn